Yesteryear's paths in Scotland
Before the knowledge of the old paths in Scotland has gone forever, "Heritage Paths" has started a project to promote the existence and the heritage of these paths. It will give an added dimension to your walks when you discover these almost lost pathways for yourself.
More and more old paths are being re-discovered. Paths, the Roman legions, monks, drovers or traders once used. Infinitely interesting and for walkers especially a great addition to the established trails.
If you are able to help by sharing your own knowledge with "Heritage Paths", you will be contributing towards future generations’ enjoyment of this vast and still growing number of old paths.
The map shows many of the longer historic routes which "Heritage Paths" is researching. Scotland's Finest does not intend to describe the different paths in depth. All the details, including the relevant maps, can be found here!
Scotland's Finest only provides basic information on a small number of Heritage Paths that directly (or almost directly) intersect with the existing Long Distance Walking Trails. The relevant Heritage Paths create the added possibility to jump between these Trails. They are first of all of great historical value in themselves and at the same time offer walkers many more options to enjoy the wilds of Scotland.
Connections between Long Distance Walking Trails by way of Heritage Paths:
More information on the specific LDWT pages mentioned above.
Ready for something special?
Underneath an overview of paths described as "Military Roads'.
Detailed route descriptions: Here!
A blog on the subject: Here!
- Gargunnock Military Road, Loch Lomond, Stirling & The Trossachs 8 km from: West Carse (NS 732 942) to Glentirranmuir, Kippen (NS 657 944)
- General Wade's Military Road, Crieff to Aberfeldy, Perth(shire), Angus & Dundee 40 km from Hill Street, Crieff (NN 864 217) to Old Crieff Road, Aberfeldy (NN 855 490)
- Old Blair Military Road, Perth(shire, Angus & Dundee 4,8 km from Hill Street, Crieff (NN 864 217) to Old Crieff Road, Aberfeldy (NN 855 490)
- Rattray Military Road, Perth(shire, Angus & Dundee 5,3 km from A923, near Stormont Loch (NO 194 427) to A93, East of Upper Gothens (NO 146 420)
- Old Military Road from Blairgowrie, Perth(shire), Angus & Dundee 7,2 km from Hotel, Bridge of Cally (NO 138 512) to Lornty Bridge (NO 170 464)
- Grantown-on-Spey Military Road, Aviemore & The Cairngorms 4,4 km from unclassified road to Camerory (NJ 019 314) to A939 (NJ 008 351)
- Ruthven Military Road, Aviemore & The Cairngorms 11 km from Ruthven (NN 762 995) to Etteridge (NN 686 925)
- General Wade's Military Road, Moy to Inverness, Inverness, Loch Ness & Nairn 13,7 km from Milton of Leys (NH 693 417) to Moy (NH 769 341)
- Drove Road to Fort Augustus, Inverness, Loch Ness & Nairn 28 km from Tomich (NH 307 273) to Jenkins Park (NH 371 095)
- Dava Military Road, Inverness, Loch Ness & Nairn From A939, west of Dava (NH 997 391) to A940, south of Braemoray Lodge (NJ 000 424)
- Corrieyairack Pass, Inverness, Loch Ness & Nairn 18 5 km from unclassified road 0.5km SW of Ardachy Lodge (NH 373 071) to Garva Bridge (NN 521 947)
- Fort Augustus Military Road, Inverness, Loch Ness & Nairn 5 km from Achlain on A887 (NH 280 123) to Allt Phocaichain, where it joins the drove road to Fort Augustus (NH 325 110)
- Slochd Military Road, Aberdeen(shire) & Moray 18 km from A95/B9153 junction, north of Kinveachy (NH 910 187) to Raigbeg (NH 811 291)
- Corgarff Military Road, Aberdeen(shire) & Moray 4,5 km from A939, northwest of Ordgarff (NJ 296 063) to A939, 1.5km past the summit of the Glas Choille road (NJ 262 086)
- Skair Road, Aberdeen(shire) & Moray 4,5 km from B979 at Blackburn (NJ 825 128) to Unclassified road, Brae Farm SE of Kintore (NJ 800 155)
- Devil's Staircase, Fort William, Ben Nevis & Lochaber 13 km from Kingshouse Hotel (NN 259 548) to Kinlochleven (NN 192 617)
- Glencoe Military Road, Fort William, Ben Nevis & Lochaber From Achtriochtan (NN 159 571) to Lochan na Fola (NN 215 560)
- Military Road to Fort William, Fort William, Ben Nevis & Lochaber 17,5 km from Kinlochleven (NN 183 624) to the edge of Fort William (NN 097 724)
- Black Mount Military Road, Fort William, Ben Nevis & Lochaber 25 km from Bridge of Orchy (NN 296 396) to Kings House Hotel (NN 260 549)
- Crianlarich Military Road, Argyll & The Isles 4,7 km from A82, Derrydaroch (NN 351 220) to A82, 1 km north of Crianlarich (NN 378 256)
- Corse of Slakes, Dumfries & Galloway 11,4 km from Planetree Park, Gatehouse of Fleet (NX 592 562) to Creetown (NX 479 589)
- Military Road, east of Glenluce, Dumfries & Galloway 17 3 km from A75, east of Shennanton Old Bridge (NX 347 632) to End location: Glenluce (NX 204 577)
- Military Road, Dumfries & Galloway 3,9 km from A75 near Black Park (NX 383 644) to A75, Glasnick Smithy (NX 353 633)