Dunnydeer Castle *

In this region: <<<<<  >>>>>


The castle is first mentioned in 1260 as a castle of the Balliol family. It is possible that the castle was founded by David, earl of Huntingdon and Garioch in the 12th century, although local tradition suggests it was constructed by Giric, King of the Picts, around AD 880. It is likely that the castle was destroyed during the wars of independence and potentially reclaimed by Bruce, but the history of the castle is otherwise unknown.