Castle Fraser **

In this region: <<<<<  >>>>>


The castle was started by Michael Fraser in 1575 and finished by his son Andrew in 1636 with the expert help of two local Master Masons Bel and Leiper. The castle was until 1695 known as ´Muchall-in-Mar´.

James Graham, Marquis of Montrose, made the area unsafe for Covenanters in the mid-17thcentury and because the 2nd Lord Fraser had definite Covenanting inclinations the Fraser crops suffered accordingly, although the castle was spared a similar fate.