Fincharn Castle **

In this region: <<<<<  >>>>>


The ruins of Fincharn, also known as Fionchairn Castle or Glassery Castle, rest on a small rocky bluff on the southwest shore of Loch Awe, less than a mile from the small community of Ford. Once a commanding structure, it now consists of portions of only three high-standing walls, part of what was once a long rectangular tower. In 1563, during the time of the Scrymgeour family, Fincharn Castle was known as the "Messuage (or, Manor Place) of Glassary".  The name, Fincharn, is taken from the Celtic Fiannacharn, the "Fingalians’ Mound", which is the name given to an unusually large burial cairn located on the nearby Fincharn Farm.